Saturday, August 27, 2005

Uh oh.

The Yanks just got Matt Lawton. The guy's not great, batting .268 this season and the same over his whole career. But I have a bad feeling about this -- remininscent of the late-season acquisitions they made around '99-'01, who totally overperformed and really helped pick up the rest of the team. Hell, their acquisitions this year (Chacon and Small, even maybe Leiter) have been surpisingly good. I hope I'm wrong.

In other news, Michael Young has snuck past Johnny Damon for the lead in AL batting. Damon's been hitting .256 in August.

Finally, I've had the word "Crun-chew-eezy" stuck in my head all day. I don't know why, but please somebody make it stop.

6 comments:

  1. I wouldn't worry to much about Lawton. He can't pitch the 7th. And at this point his bat replaces either Bernie or Giambi. I guess it gives them a slight defensive upgrade, but I don't see this as a major get. Its comparable to the Sox getting Graffinino. Bellhorn was struggling, but he wasn't the reason the team was going to have trouble down the stretch.

    As for getting the word out of your head, trying humming a few lines in your head of "Hit me baby one more time."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, but all that does is makes it "Crun-chew-eezy one more time!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, the Yanks scored 5 in the bottom of the 9th to win. Lawton or no (he scored one of those 5) they seem to be eking out the wins they need (Embree even got the win) -- just 2 back now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Talk about handing a game over to the opposition!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy crap. Sox get 6 runs...and Arroyo immediately gives up 4. This game is so far from over.

    Remember when Sox went up 6-0 in the 2nd inning of Game 7 of the 2004 ALCS? And it felt like it was over? A six run lead seems like nothing these days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did I say 4? I meant 5. C'mon guys, lets get some insurance runs. Seventeen insurance runs.

    ReplyDelete