- I want to feel bad for Pedro, but I just can't. I mean, he signed with the Mets. It's surprising this sort of thing hasn't happened more often.
- From an SI poll ("of 450 MLB players") taken in the preseason: 29% of players think 10% or more of major leaguers use steroids. However, almost the same amount (27%) think more than half of all players use amphetamines. Which is pretty amazing. The mlb doesn't test for amphetamine use.
- Corey Hart just got his first career hit today, a 3-run homer in the Brewers' win over the Rockies. There's a joke in there somewhere, I'm just too tired to figure it out.
- Scott Podsednik leads MLB in steals, with 54 (2nd place: 41). He also leads in caught stealing, with 18 (2nd place: 12). That's a 75% success rate. Hm. Couple that with his Bellhorn-esque .685 OPS, and compare that to the OPS of the guy he was traded for (0.843), and you've got to wonder just how good the White Sox would be had they not made that trade.
- On a related note, the Red Sox still lead MLB in stolen base success rate, at 83%. Half of MLB teams (including the White Sox) are under 70%; the Nationals are actually under 50%. The full list is here.
- David Wells has a web page. It's called boomer16. You can get there by going to "www.boomer3.com", or "www.boomer33.com". However, "www.boomer16.com" doesn't seem to work. The picture of Wells and a shirtless Steven Tyler will give you nightmares for weeks.
Sunday, August 14, 2005
Rainy day notes
Bummer of a day to be rained out. A Sunday, Maine Day, etc. Was really hoping for the sweep too. Yanks have closed the gap to 4.5 games, by playing two more games than the Sox in the last four days. Some random notes...