Sunday, August 28, 2005

Rule 6.08(b)2

The batter becomes a runner and is entitled to first base without liability to be put out (provided he advances to and touches first base) when he is touched by a pitched ball which he is not attempting to hit unless the batter makes no attempt to avoid being touched by the ball; If the ball is in the strike zone when it touches the batter, it shall be called a strike, whether or not the batter tries to avoid the ball.

Just got back from the Astros-Dodgers game. I was saddened to see Craig Biggio not in the lineup. But then he pinch hit for Roger Clemens, and on Jeff Weaver's first pitch, was hit in the elbow! I jumped up, screaming (most Dodger fans thought I was nuts); and then began loud booing when they called him back. The ruling was that he didn't make an effort to get out of the way, so it was just ball 1. I'd like to see the replay. But I hate when rules are enforced selectively. I know once this season a batter was called back when he was hit by a Wakefield "fast"ball, but it's pretty rare. The Astros probably would've scored if he'd been awarded the base (final score: Dodgers, 1-0). But even sadder, I missed the chance to witness history: if Biggio had been hit, he would've moved up to 2nd place all-time in HBP. Very sad. I swear, I've never booed so hard in my life.

3 comments:

  1. I missed it. The oldies simulcast got a little dull. It was sad to hear Scully keep saying "if this were a normal game we would be showing a replay, but its not..." after 3 innings of it, I got tired. I mean commit the idea of the old school or not.

    The sox pulled one out today - a good performance for all. The bullpen streak is over - and with a bit of research it was actual an almost streak. I was looking at Wells' recent starts and August versus DET Wells gave up all 6 runs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was August 17th - sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoops. I guess I saw that Mike Remlinger pitched 1.2 innings and just assumed he gave up a few runs.

    ReplyDelete