- The Red Sox picked up Jose Cruz, Jr., for a couple prospects. He's had a rough season so far, batting just .213, but has still managed a .783 OPS. Plus, his first hit as a Red Sox will be his 1000th, which is sort of cool.
- Today Wade Boggs and Ryne Sandberg are inducted into the HOF, as is Peter Gammons. Good overviews of those three (respectively) here, here, and here. Congrats to all.
- Speaking of the HOF, good NYT article on questionable statistics used in the older HOF plaques, and the more general question of a "baseball record book". This is my favorite part:
- Alan Embree, sans goatee, left the mound of Yankee Stadium yesterday to a chorus of boos. I'd feel bad for him, if he weren't a Yankee. Apparently he signed with NY over the Padres because the Yanks gave him a no-trade contract. Seriously.
A doozy regarding Ruth is developing right now. Trent McCotter, an 18-year-old from Winston-Salem, N.C., was looking through Ruth's 1926 official sheets when he noticed that some late-season games listed him with home runs but no runs batted in.
Apparently the scorer in St. Louis for the final six weeks did not know what an R.B.I. was, and for every player he put either runs scored or some other variant in the ledger.
- My little experiment to get more visitors via web searches is already paying off. Of our last 100 visits, here the web searches that got people here:
Wow. That's sad. What's even sadder is that the two best ones ("shrinking testicles" and "jake and the fatman fox schedule") are from different posts.
- Jon Papelbon starts for the Sox today. Hopefully his debut will be the big story tomorrow. Go Jon! Go Sox.