Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Soap Opera Continues

I have lamented a number of times that I just wish the Sox could be a normal team. 2004 had some effect - in that we no longer have to listen to a bunch of crap about some fictional curse (and we even got some sweetness added to it as the greatest comeback/choke in the history of sports).

And now I'm hearing that Manny will not report until March 1. And that the Sox are okay with this. Of course, contractually March 1 is the reporting date, so there really is nothing "special" being agreed to here. This also means that Manny will be in camp for about 36 hours before he heads off to the WBC. And my bet here is that Manny will likely take about 2-3 days on the back end before reporting back to camp. Maybe this is not such a bad thing - he'll get his reps in the WBC. He is a slugger savant and will end up putting up his usual monster numbers, so anything he does to give him a bit of happiness, then fine.

But the bigger question - why the hell does this stuff always happen with the Sox. First it was Clemens showing up late and then dissing his coach by wearing headphones. Then we had the annual "where is Pedro. Oh, he's coming late to go to his Dad's birthday party." which of course was not an issue last year or apparently this year. And now the Manny nonsense continues. Ugh. I am glad I can not tune WEEI in my car here in CA (and I refuse to stream it at work).

9 comments:

  1. I think it's vaguely possible that it happens with other clubs, but their media doesn't make it a huge deal quite like Boston's does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "but their media doesn't make it a huge deal quite like Boston's does."

    Point taken. I think HUGE DEAL is pretty accurate. I can only imagine the headlines, etc that this (if true) will generate.

    I guess it is happening out here with Barry. And I'm sure every team has dealt with it to some extent in the past - it just seems that the Sox deal with it EVERY year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just don't think that Manny not showing up until March 1 is a big deal...Not with the WBC upcoming...Plus, players are due in tomorrow...that's the 22nd. There are only 28 days in February...I am not worried about him forgetting how to hit, that's for sure...

    And, I have to say, that CHB has written nothing but slamming articles about the Sox so far. He is terrible...

    I love how Wells just walked away from him. You can tell it really got to him. I mean how can an article be anything but negative when you are offered the choice, "Hurt Pitcher of Lame Duck"? He then puts in stuff like "monstrous white SUV"...However, he employs the new writing tactic employed by most hacks...he says in the end we should keep him...No wonder Wells hates it here...You insult him and then say keep him. I'd go to San Diego, too, if I could...

    ReplyDelete
  4. CHB won't die until we stop reading his $hit. Just don't give into clicking on his crap.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unfortnately I don't have much choice. Well, I do have a choice I guess, but living on the West Coast I have to read my Sox stuff on line and I'm not strong enough to pull an Earl and NOT read the Boston coverage of the Sox (although he again today has suspiciously known what was written and linked it to this blog).

    Beside, I imagine even if boston.com got exactly ZERO hits to everything that looked like boston.com/sports/chb/....., they still would not get rid of him. He's kind of like old pee stains on the carpet from when your dog was a puppy. You know they are there. There certainly aren't pretty to look at. You know something probably should be done to freshen up the place, but they've been there so long.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually I was looking for photos of Boston.com (trying to figure out what Curt's Shirt said) and the thing I quoted was right there on the screen. I swear I didn't click on the link...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Curt's shirt was all over the news in Arizona - he actually is still a cult figure there. and they don't really like Randy Johnson.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a joke that Shaughnessy complains so much about players abusing their power because no one abuses power like him. Who gets to put him in his place? Maybe they should come out with some new T-shirts with his face on them: Danny Being Danny.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's unforutnate, regarding Schilling and Arizona. Because that's likely the state in which he'll run for the senate in 6 years.

    ReplyDelete