Saturday, February 18, 2006

Say it Ain't So, Joe!

It's been a long time since we did an update on the Yankees. Hell, it's been a long time since we've discussed even the Red Sox, but that's because so little is happening that Truck Day feels like a national holiday. Anyway, in no particular order:
  • Somehow I missed that Joe Kerrigan is the Yankees' new bullpen coach. He's really expected to be more of a backup pitching coach - he'll the mechanics guy (something pitching coach Ron Guidry probably isn't) and Guidry will be the "psychological guidance" guy (something we know Kerrigan isn't). Kerrigan was Randy Johnson's pitching coach in Montreal's farm system back in 1988.
  • Unsurprisingly, Steinbrenner is pissed at Selig about the World Baseball Classic. I guess I don't blame him. Of course, if any big-name player goes down with an injury next month, the WBC is toast.
  • The Yanks signed 38-year old Scott Erickson, one of 2000's "50 Most Beautiful People in the World", to a minor-league contract. I like to think that appearing in People Magazine cursed him, but actually he had already begun falling apart a couple years before that. Apparently Jason Giambi convinced the Yanks to scout him.
  • Mike Mussina wants a 2007 extension, but is more focused on recovering from his elbow problems: "I feel fine, I feel good, I feel like I should...Look, I made that rhyme, like Dr. Seuss."
  • Kyle Farnsworth attributes his success last year to spending time each day reading a "mental book". I can't wait to get more info on that.

3 comments:

  1. Johnny Damon was one of the 50 Most Beautiful People last year and Slappy was the year before that. I have no idea who will represent MLB in this year's list, but I don't think there is really a curse involved there. Too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those mental boks that Farnsworth read were all penned by Dr Suess! What a coincidence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will vote for Erickson's wife as a 50 most beautiful. Although I did see him at dinner one night here in Los Gatos - he is from San Jose. Unfortunately he was solo that night.

    I actually am happy that george gave some quotes this week. It is more fun when he is around. especially when he does things like second guess his manager. and GM. Hopefully that is a trend that will continue.

    Kerrigan is an interesting guy - it is also like the move of brining Bowa in to coach third base - in both the pitching coach and manager's case, there is an experienced and some could say successful possible replacement waiting in the wings.

    ReplyDelete