The pain from last nights second inning inspired me to do some analysis. Unfortunately, I can't get at the inning by inning records. (Read as: I am too lazy to try to track down those numbers and make them work). However, I did find game-by-game data and learned some interesting things.
1. When the Yankees win they score an average of 7.9 runs
2. When the Red Sox lose they score an average of 3.5 runs
Apparently, both teams were above average last night. Something to at least tip our caps to (not). Diving into the numbers a little more I found:
1. When the Yankees win on mondays they average 10 runs
2. When the Red Sox lose on Mondays they average 5.5 runs
So maybe last night wasn't so above average for both teams. So, these last numbers are basically statistically meaningless as there are way too many variables not being accounted for, however I did think it was interesting.
Finally, just so we can see the other side of things:
1. When the Red Sox win they score an average of 6.8 runs
2. When the Yankees lose they score an average of 3.4 runs
If I were a betting man, we win tonight 7 to 4!